Monday, November 12, 2007

Heroes

As we honor our Veteran’s today, we are reminded of ALL who have served our country on every front during peacetime and war. Our servicemen and women are the best in the world and we owe them our deepest gratitude for sacrificing their lives to protect ours and preserve our freedoms.
I always loved to see Aaron in his uniform, what a handsome man he was. Even his flight suit made my heart go pitter-patter. And evidently it did the same for Christina! Hee hee. When we were in Arkansas I was honored to be in the presence of our Airman and comforted by their strong stature, their disciplined resolve, and their tender hearts. They all share that same love for our country that Aaron had. I think it was born into him. He never wanted to go to college, he instead wanted to serve his country and that small flicker in his heart burned into a bright fiery passion the longer he served. He was willing to give his life for it and came close to it many times. I still find it hard to comprehend that his life was taken on American soil in the split second of someone’s bad decision. But no matter how he died it doesn’t change the fact that he was a true American hero! I know I speak for my parents, my siblings, Christina and the kids – Aaron will always be our Hero!
On Saturday, at a small town veteran’s memorial service in Centerville, PA, a wreath was laid in honor of Aaron and his service to our great country. As you can imagine we all shed tears (AGAIN) and felt our hearts swell with pride as we honored his commitment and service.





This is Marine Maj. Stewart Hickey with my dad. He retired in 1999 and resides in Centerville, PA. He was the Mastor of Ceremonies. A true patriot!
This young man, Lt. Bullington was the guest speaker. He served in Kosovo with the U.S. Army. He graduated from Bedford High School (our high school), and either IUP or Shippensburg Univ. I can't remember which. His speech was very inspiring. My mom and dad got to speak with him afterwards. My mom is holding Jacob (Amy's youngest).We thank God for our Veterans!

God Bless America!

Leah







l

1 comments:

Shannon said...

Aaron was a true HERO...in every since of the word. I sat and cried at your post and the pictures. I can't imagine what Christina feels. I know that she feels so removed from that ceremony and from family. We trying our best to love her through it. Again, Leah, thank you SO much for the post!