Monday, November 26, 2007

Going Hunting!

I haven’t posted on my blog for an entire week so I have a bit of catching up to do! West Virginia hunting season started last week and then of course Thanksgiving, so our kids had the entire week off from school. Needless to say, I didn’t have much time to work on my blog. Raegan enjoyed her first hunting outing with Daddy. She told me she was “really into it” the night before they went. I don’t even know if she knew what she was talking about but Joel and I were both excited that she wanted to go spend some time in the woods with him. She wore the required blaze orange but underneath that is ALL girl in an Ariel sweatshirt!
Luckily we had a very warm day on Thursday (70 degrees!) and it was the perfect time to take her. They saw 6 does, a fox, and lots of squirrels! Daddy & Uncle Shaun had gotten all of the bucks evidently.
She WAS willing to hold the horns from daddy’s deer. Go girl!

This reminded me of the first time my dad and Aaron took me hunting. I was probably 10 or 11. I got up early, put on all the layers to forge the cold, and headed out with them. As we walked through the woods, my dad and Aaron kept saying they could smell something. We soon got to our spot and not long after that they started saying “don’t you want to go back to the house, Leah?” I thought they were concerned about me, but instead they were concerned they wouldn’t get a deer because I smelled too good - it was scaring all the deer away!!! So much for wearing Love’s Baby Soft into the woods!!

Today begins Pennsylvania Hunting Season so we wish our family and friends in PA all the best in the woods today and this week – may you bag a big one!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What kind of mother would let their daughter go hunting?? LOL
Even in her orange vest, she looks sooo cute!
Nicki

Christina said...

I remember going hunting with Aaron and Joel when we were there several years ago. Boy was it freezing. It even rained that day so it seemed colder than it really was. They even had a mini heater for the FL girl. Aaron loved to hunt no mater what the weather. Last year he took the boys with him. Aaron got a buck but they couldn't find it after looking for it all day. I'm not sure if Aaron or the boys were more tired of looking for that deer. Samuel just informed me that his dad was more tired of looking than they were.