Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Very Important Day

It’s another January birthday! However, this one trumps them all. Afterall, if this birth hadn’t happened, there would not have been an Adam Wayne, Amy Renee, Aaron David or Leah Carol to speak of. Yes, that’s right the matriarch of this fine family, Linda Lou (Sullivan) McCoy was born dlsjd-fladj years ago! What’s that, you couldn’t read it? Oh, that’s because I value my life and I won’t dare tell her age! Besides, age is all relative and when you look as fine as mother does it doesn’t really matter. I’ve told her that I hope I look as good as her at her age, Joel says he hopes I do too!!
I surprised mother early this morning with a few birthday goodies that included a double Snicker Espresso and some brownies from M&M Bakery. It was so early I caught her in her robe and neither one of us were fit for a picture so just use your imagination on that one. Here's a photo of her enjoying some chocolate with me on my birthday last year.

Sorry I interrupted your day, mother, but I just wanted you to know how special you are to us all and how very special you make each of us feel.
Your years of child rearing are long over but the impact is lasting. I catch myself repeating phrases you used to say to us or singing your little choruses throughout the day. I’m sure you never thought you were the best mom in the world (what mom does) but as I look back I wonder if you will ever know how much instruction you gave each of us to take as we started our own families. The time you spent teaching us to clean, cook, care for a home and others were more important than all the material things you could have given us had you worked outside the home. I can find such satisfaction in the mundane tasks of cleaning up and preparing a meal most likely because of your cheery example.
I remember my job of setting the table each evening and picking lettuce from the garden just before dinner. Even the night we waited for Adam and Aaron to return from riding their motorcycle. We had no idea they had wrecked and were waiting for help. You endured many, many trips to the ER with us all from motorcycles to bicycles, to horses, sleds, dog bites and even monkey bars on my first day of 5th grade!
You met us at the end of the lane after school to walk home with us many of times. You would even meet us with umbrellas when it rained. I remember coming home from school one day and you were not home – how dare you! I screamed and cried, kicking the front door until I left marks because you weren’t there to greet me. I KNEW you would always be there waiting for me. How important a mother is in a child’s life and you made every day count! The life lessons we learned from growing up with a godly mother are invaluable. If we all do ½ as well as you did at parenting, your grandchildren will be just fine!
I remember sitting on the front porch and watching our family cat give birth – you used this simple act of nature to teach all four of us about the value of life!
I remember the day my horse Tashi threw me. I could see the fear in your eyes as you ran as fast as you could down the road towards me as I lay on the ground unable to move. You never told me my riding days were over, you encouraged me to get back on!
I remember my first real love in high school and the heartache of our breakup. You sat in the kitchen and listened, knowing very well that it was a mere bump in the road of life but you validated my dramatic sob story.
I remember you dropping me off at Clarion University that first day and you driving away knowing you were leaving your baby 3 hours away.
I remember the day I graduated from college and the pride in your eyes. You had never had that chance but you made it happen for me.
I remember making the decision to go on to grad school in Virginia and telling you I was afraid of getting married and never using my degree. I will NEVER forget what you told me, “Leah, you will be a better mother for it!” You were so right!!
I remember when you stood by my bed in the hospital as I was in labor (screaming for that epidural that I never got!!) and thinking I’m 27 having my first baby and you had 4 at the age of 25! Do you remember what I said? “How did you do it?” You are an amazing woman and you raised 4 amazing children who love and adore you. You always gave enough, loved enough, laughed enough and yes, even spanked enough!
Happy Birthday Mother!
Leah Carol

Celebrating my 33rd birthday last year

0 comments: