Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Viruses, Birthdays and Other Fun Stuff

I’ve not written on the blog for almost a week and honestly I’ve not had much to write about. My computer was taken over by a wonderful virus that infiltrated every application possible. I couldn’t use Microsoft Word without it slamming me out, check my email without it taking 2 hours, or even start Internet Explorer because it's been hijacked! After two 3-hour conversations with computer geeks in India (yes, India) it isn't much better. I still cannot download Microsoft’s One Care Live antivirus & firewall package but they are “trying” to figure that one out for me. I usually have great patience but at this point I've lost all semblance of tolerance. I’m convinced that if I can’t fix it I need to go buy a new one. Joel just loves that idea!!
At the same time Raegan developed a fever, after a throat culture they sent us on our way with antibiotics. Well…….3 days later she still had a fever and had developed a wide-spread rash on your upper torso. Yet, another visit to the dr. led to an entirely different antibiotic and the diagnosis of dual-infection: strep and a virus. Lovely!
In the meantime, I turned 34 -whoo hooo, exciting, isn’t getting older grand? I wasn’t in much of a mood to celebrate knowing I had to spend the whole day in the office trying to catch up on work that had piled up from Raegan being off school. However, my wonderful mother called and took me to brunch. We enjoyed our breakfast and then inhaled huge chocolate brownies with peanut butter icing. How’s that for a healthy breakfast!? We wasted the morning away talking and drinking a ton of coffee. We talked waaayy too long - by the time we left, the roads were covered in slippery, freezing snow and the schools had been let out early. Whoopsie! Oh well, sometimes you just need to do it.
So, I thought I’d reminisce a bit (not that I would remember any of this), here’s what was going on when I was born Thursday, January 17th, 1974.

Richard Nixon was President, there was no Vice President.
Bread was $.28 a loaf,
Milk was $1.39/gal (not sure how our family of 6 could afford that when we went through 2 gallons a day!)
Gas was $.53 a gallon – WOW, where have those days gone!
Stamps were only $.10
Minimum wage was $2/hr.
Avg. House was $38,900
Avg. Car was $4,440
Top Songs were “Kung Fu Fighting” by Carl Douglas, “The Streak” by Ray Stevens, “Seasons in the Sun” by Terry Jacks

Hot New Toys were Connect Four (of which I was the family champion, NO ONE could beat me!), Rubik’s Cube (we took that thing apart and put it back together, there solved!), Sit ‘N Spin (didn’t have one, but Raegan does!), and Monchhichi (remember those monkey looking dolls?!)

TV Shows were Little House on the Prairie, Happy Days, The Waltons, M*A*S*H (hated that show), The Rockford Files. (We didn’t have a TV until I was about 10 but we watched these shows at Grandmas all the time)

And other people born on MY birthday include Benjamin Franklin, Muhammad Ali, Betty White, and James Earl Jones. There's your history lesson for the day! Maybe I did have lots to write about this past week.

Seriously, though I did take a little time to reflect and take inventory of the blessings that God has so richly granted me. Life isn't always easy - no one ever promised that it would be. So often we focus on what we want or can't have instead of what we have been given. It is usually physical, temporal things that don't mean a blasted thing! Our appearance, our car, our house, our clothes, our toys - these will soon pass away! Only what's done for Christ will last. I've been listening to another one of "Aaron's songs". A song that was on the video CD made for his funeral. I absolutely love it and if I can figure out how to put the link on I will. It's called Bring the Rain by Mercy Me. It basically says, bring me joy bring me peace, bring the chance to be free, bring me anything that brings you glory. And I know there'll be days when this life brings me pain but if that's what it takes to praise you, Jesus bring the rain!
Rain or Shine my Jesus brings me Real Joy,
Leah

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Leah, even though we are about 4 years apart, you took me down memory lane with your last entry. I have really enjoyed reading your and Christina's blogs. You two are a constant source of encouragment to me and a wonderful witness. Thank you, Jill

Anonymous said...

Leah, remember our conversation the other day concerning "Preparation"? Well I found myself thinking more on that throughout the evening. So I thought I would share what I wrote in my journal that night..."Preparation"! Are we ever truely prpared for what lies ahead? For what God has in store for us? Was Adam and Eve prpared to
learn of Able's death at the hands of his own brother? Was Sarah prepared to hear she would give birth at such an old age...after 99 years of barreness? Was Abraham prepared to be asked by God to sacrifice that same precious son, Issac? How about Naomi and the loss of not only her husband, but her sons also? The list goes on and on. Physically, I don't believe that in and of ourselves we are ever, or can ever prepare ourselves. Our human minds can not conceive why or how, we will ever go on. Spiritually however, we can put ourselves in a place of rest...Yes! Rest. When we have given our lives to the Lord he promises never to leave us or forsake us.(Heb. 13:5,6) He also promises to be a refuge at these times...until they pass(Ps.57:1) But, most importantly He says his "grace" is sufficient for us. His strength is made perfect in our weakness(2Cor. 9-10). Ultimately, in every situation his desire is to bring glory to himself...so, am I living in his word, in "Preparation" to bring him glory?...These were just my thoughts. By the way Feb 23 in the noon will work. I did check the calendar Steve does have an awards dinner that evening however, we would not have to leave until 3 or so. Love ya!