Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Happy Birthday Aaron

January is a month full of McCoy birthdays - Granddaddy, Aaron, Chandler, mine, and mother's. Don't know what was doing on 9 months prior in May but it must have been good.

Our family always made a big deal out of birthdays. My mom would cook our favorite meal, create a big collage of our pictures, hang up the "Happy Birthday" letters that she had covered in foil and make our day extra special. As kids we always looked forward to being made over on our birthday. Today we would have celebrated Aaron's 36 birthday.

Mother and Daddy, I'm so sorry that you have to feel the pain today of not having your son on a day that with such tender meaning. Those sweet recollections are scarred with sorrow now and it's so painful to know that you are hurting. You usually call on our birthdays and talk about the birth pains you were having so many years ago on that date. We always laugh knowing that you are joyfully remembering the day you brought us into the world. I cry with you today and miss him even more than ever.

Christina and kids, today is another one of those milestones that you/we must face and get through. There will be many tears and that constant reminder of his absence is even more evident when we he's not here to celebrate his birthday. We pray for your strength and comfort today. We love you all.

He will remain 35 and handsome in our minds, never to grow old.
Love & miss you birthday boy!
Your baby sister

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Leah,
You are right, there are lots of tears. Cleaned out my tissue box here at my desk as I've read and made comments on yours and Christinas' blogs. Yes, birthdays were a big deal, a celebration of the life God made. And every year Aaron would ask for pies instead of cake. One year I made this big meal for Aaron, not asking him ahead of time what he wanted, and he told me "but I wanted chili". :)
There's a birthday picture of him holding his pie and he has his arm held in a sling because he had broken his collar bone,for the second time, in a sledding accident with his friend Randy. Now where did that bank come from ! Only 35, in the prime of your life, not having reached your goals, only a short time to retire and going in a different direction with your skills, such a people person and wanting to do something to help people, yet to see your children graduate and see the path they are to choose and finally to have more time with your wife. In my human thoughts I could really put myself in depression. But praise the Lord I know the truth, I see the plan, I know of Gods love, He has taught me through the years of knowing and depending on Him that He is in control. Nothing goes unseen or happen without Him knowing. He loved Aaron before I bore him. "Precious in the sight of the Lord is the death of His saints" The Lord now has perfect communion with Aaron that the things of this earth kept from happening. It's like us welcoming an old friend into our home that we hadn't been able to talk to for ever. Get the picture ? He now has Aaron to Himself, perfect fellowship. So today we are celebrating the life we had with Aaron, though so short. And there will be baloons on his grave, though tied down tight because it's a windy day and twice as bad on the hill where his tent is waiting for the trump of God !!!
Love you so much,
Mother

Anonymous said...

Leah,
Really thought I could go through this day as any other day...so I filled it up as usual. Getting everyone up, doing devotions with Steve and the kids, breakfast, sending Steve off to work, school work with the kids, Jacob down for nap time, turkey in the oven, phone calls, lunch time, kids out to play...then it was too quiet! I saw Aaron's picture on the mantel and knew I needed to check out the blogs. Well, needless to say I fell apart. Why is it so easy for me to listen to someone elses pain, sorrow and tears, but I can't seem to handle my own? I need to constantly remind myself that Jesus himself felt grief, and also wept. He asks us to cast all of our cares on him...for he truly cares for us. Today as I drew dish water, I started to feel overwhelmed with emotion( Mother always said "hot soapy dish water would cure anything"!). So I added my tears to the suds and allowed the Lord to renew my thinking. He gave us all precious times with Aaron. Recently I found a picture of him and I in the farm house Kitchen. I was cutting his hair...again!(I think cutting his hair was an every other day process...It was never short enough!) Of course, his expression was one of mocked surprise, eyes and mouth wide open and of course still smiling. I knew that as soon as that picture was taken he went into the bathroom looked in the mirror and said, "it needs a little more off the top"! It's no wonder he enjoyed the military...They always kept it short! I miss his tender teasing and joking...even when he taught me to drive a stick shift. He told me I had given him whip lash in the first fifty feet...and we weren't even out of the driveway yet! He was so patient with me and encouraged me the entire time. I know he would have done the same for his kids. I'll miss calling him on the phone and singing " Happy Birthday" to him (I'm always so terrible about getting out cards) I too praise the Lord for Aaron's life and rejoice in his testimony and joy of his salvation. One day we will celebrate together again in glory! Until then..."Happy Birthday Butch"!
Love, Amy