Monday, December 24, 2007

Christmas Eve

Lately, many people have asked me how I and my family are doing. I guess they mean how are we dealing with the holidays and just recently losing Aaron. I know they mean well and honestly until Aaron’s death I would have said the same thing to a dear friend that had suffered such a loss. But with my new perspective I really want to say “I’m awful – I’m depressed, I’m sad, I’m grieving. Other than that I’m just fine, thanks for asking!”
In all seriousness though, it’s made me consider what I really should say as a reply. As I was thinking about it I also sat down to write my mom and dad a Christmas card. Keeping in mind that Christmas time is NOT my mom’s favorite season, I knew this Christmas was going to be especially tough. Very briefly, here are my thoughts!
The man-made traditions of Christmas can leave us with emptiness, heartache and sadness. Not to mention debt and regret! It is difficult to face this "normally cheerful" holiday shadowed by the darkness of sorrow. But the birth of our Savior that holy night gives us hope! He was born with one purpose....to die – for each one of us that we would have life everlasting! Through the grief we can truly rejoice that His birth AND death thousands of years ago brings us comfort. We know that our sweet Aaron is with Him because he accepted that precious gift of eternal life and what better hope and comfort than that we too will be with Him!! We will choose to enjoy Christ not necessarily Christmas.

We are off to spend tonight with my mom and dad at Christmas Eve service. I’ve always loved the candlelight, the songs and the beautiful quiet reflection. I will especially cherish the sweet presence of each family member knowing our time is precious. We miss Christina and the family and wish we had them all here to hold tonight. Blessings to you all!
Leah

0 comments: