Sunday, April 27, 2008

Why?

I went out for a jog Thursday evening. It was absolutely perfect. It wasn't hot and stuffy and it wasn't cold and brisk. It was just right and the breeze hitting my face was so fresh and rejuvenating. The sounds and the sights of summer-like activities going on all around me were wonderful!! When I jog I like to let my mind wander freely - no thinking, (except when I'm concentrating on getting my next breath!) Anyways, I was enjoying this little jaunt when up behind me came a motorcycle. My mind instantly flooded with thoughts of Aaron.

I know we all have asked the question "Why, Lord?" when something terrible has happened in our lives even though we dare not admit it. It's almost like a natural bodily reflex that occurs when trauma strikes our world. So I'll confess - I have! I found myself asking that over and over as I ran - why, Lord, why did Aaron have to die? Why do we all have to suffer such loss and pain? The tears began to fall and my path soon became blurry. And then the Holy Spirit spoke to me "Leah, you never ask "why" when something good happens, why would you question me now?" I had to chuckle through my tears. That's exactly right. When we get a job promotion, when we give birth to a beautiful son or daughter, when we marry, when we enjoy all of the beautiful joyous moments in life we never question why we deserve such luxury. Instead we soak them in almost as if we are entitled to them and our Lord had nothing to do with them. But when that difficult time rolls around and we experience heartache, despair and loss we wonder why such calamity would come into our lives. Why do we deserve such struggles. As I continued to run several verses came to mind and I was reminded that the reason for both the good AND the bad in our lives is the same -- to bring honor and glory to Him! That's it!!

I once heard that when you find yourself asking the Lord "why" change it to "what". So from now on don't ask "Why, Lord?" instead ask "What, Lord?" What is it that you want me to learn from this? What do you want me to see that I've not seen before? What do you want me to change in my life? What do you want me to do as service for you?
We are not our own and we were bought with a price (Christ's blood on the cross). We have been placed here in this specific time, with these specific circumstances to live for Him. Why then would we question why?
Leah

0 comments: