Saturday, February 9, 2008

West Virginia Republican

Tuesday, February 5th was yet another anniversary of Aaron’s departure from this earth. Four months have gone by without our dear sweet Aaron. Tuesday was also what our nation calls “Super Tuesday” and I was honored to attend the WV Repbulican Caucus in our state capital Charleston. As an alternate delegate for someone who could not attend due to a death in their family, I cast my vote for the Republican Presidential Nominee. What an amazing opportunity! To be in the Charleston Civic Center with 2,000+ other Republicans was awesome. I smiled to myself, knowing that Aaron would have been so “stoked” to be in a group like that, not to mention the Governor from his state was there! His excitement would have been clearly evident – no need to describe that.
We left Monday afternooon - it is a 4 hour drive to Charleston. We arrived in time for the McCain reception. It was okay, didn't like the recruiting tactics and the schmoozy people. Had dinner at the Outback - in the mall across from our hotel. The mall was an added bonus to the trip! My friend Sara is the secretary for the Executive Committee of our County's Republican Party - she's responsible for this wonderful opportunity! We met the WV Secretary of State Betty Ireland, who has made the difficult decision to not seek re-election so that she can care for her elderly mother. She'll be back though.....there's talk of a Governor here!!

Sara at dinner with her official Republican Convention hat!

Just 3 of the 25 that represented Mineral County.
We got wind that Romney would be in town in the morning and that his supporters were having a "breakfast" at 7:30. When we got up to get ready, Romney was already on TV being interviewed IN CHARLESTON! I didn't even finish my hair, ran out the door and over to the civic center. I managed to squeeze myself in a room of 150 people (I think it was 150 degrees in there too!!) to meet him. I, myself, was not a staunch Romney supporter but I have a few family members that were. hmmmm So I ended up right in front of him - obviously, look at the pictures!
He took some extemporaneous questions - and I did actually like his answers. Seems that is null and void at this point though. Anyways, I met him and shook his hand. The media was everywhere - this is the back wall (what I could get of it)

Shelley Moore-Capito addressing the Caucus


Dr. Harry Boggs listening to Mitt Romney.

A former Naval aviator, he and I talked about C-130's and such!!

Huckabee being introduced. Sorry for the quality of the pictures.


I was clear in the back of the arena!

Huckabee addressing the crowd. There were poeple sitting around me that had been Rudy and Fred Thompson supporters and came to the caucus uncommitted to any candidate. After he spoke they were moved! I heard one say "that's a man of the people!"
After 2 rounds of voting - Huckabee was the winner!





0 comments: