Monday, May 5, 2008

Memories

I love pictures - don't always enjoy having my own taken, but love the PURPOSE of pictures. They tell our stories, help us celebrate, remember and mourn. Sometimes they help us when our memory seems to fail us.

At Easter, Amy gave me pictures she had come across from December 1998. They were of her, Aaron and I. Aaron was flying into Harrisburg, PA with his crew, spending the night and leaving the next day. I told him I would be there! It was only a little more than 2 hours away and the closest he would be in a while - what an opportunity!! Amy was very much "with child" at the time but I convinced her that the roadtrip would be great fun. It was like being kids again - we went to dinner and stayed up late talking. The 3 of us even shared a hotel room!

These pictures brought tears, of course, but something more. The human mind has a unique ability to capture our memories -- little snapshots that we've taken with our mind's eye and felt with our heart. Those snapshots started flashing before me and memories flooded my mind. I can remember how "giddy" Aaron was when he greeted us at the hotel that night, how we piled 7 of us in my little Mazda 626 to find a restaurant, what he ate at dinner, and where he sat in the hotel room (up on the heater by the window where he talked to Christina on the phone). How our mind does that I'll never know but it helps us hold that person so much closer when we've lost them.

Eating at Outback Steakhouse. I remember Aaron requesting a baked sweet potatoe and devouring it!
The next morning we got clearance to go out on the strip with him. How cool was that! I found some more pictures from this trip in my albums. Amy and I took turns sitting in the pilot and co-pilot's seats as well as the bubble where Aaron would shoot the gun.
As I look at these pictures I hear him laughing and feel that warm closeness. Seven months have flown by since that terrible October day but we'll NEVER EVER forget you Aaron!
With loving memories
Leah

0 comments: