Wednesday, March 5, 2008

My Current Perspective

Today is yet another anniversary – 5 months since Aaron went to be with the Lord. It was strange to not have him there for Grandma’s funeral. There had been many times in the past when her health would decline and we would mention her possible death and whether Aaron would be able to make it home for it. I wish he could have been there.
There has been so much death in our lives in the past 5 months that I’ve found it easy to slip into small boughts of depression. I’m drained – emotionally and physically. I’m sad yet I find joy, I feel separated from my departed loved ones and at the same time I feel my family stronger than ever around me. I’m exhausted but strength comes to meet each day and new task. I’ve lost track of what was “normal” and yet I’m redefining what my new normal needs to be.
My dad always says that adversity builds character. (If that’s the case, we have a family of real characters right now!) Honestly, though, I believe it only builds character if we are willing to accept it, learn from it and then apply what we’ve learned.
I’m looking at my life through new eyes. Eyes that see things much simpler. My new motto each day is “how can I make my life and my family’s life simpler to handle?” We tend to say yes to every opportunity, request and invitation that we lose track of our balanced way of life. Our schedule, family, relationships and sanity suffer because of it! This must stop – at least at this house. I need to be home, I need to be with my family and I need to weed through the many obligations in my life that deplete my energy and strength. I must have the fortitude to face the next event in our lives with an open mind and heart knowing the Lord will once again see me through.
Resting in His grace - trusting in His Word,
Leah

0 comments: