Saturday, January 30, 2010

This week I was in DC for the National Abstinence Grantees Conference hosted by the Dept of Health and Human Services. It was a conference for all programs in the country that have benefited from the CBAE Grant (Community Based Abstinence Educ.). This conference is necessary for networking, training, and (this year) for assistance in sustainability. That means.....how to continue when the government says your program isn't worthwhile.

The abstinence programs teach, inspire, and encourage our young people to have healthy relationships, value their bodies, and question the myth of "safe sex". Our current administration has decided to discontinue, ALL funds for abstinence education. I have much to say in regards to this and may even continue writing about it on here but that's not the purpose for my post today.


As most know, the very last session of a conference is usually the one most people skip out on. They are tired, overwhelmed, burned-out from the week and decide to shop, sleep, or head home early rather than finish out the meetings. Well, we had the largest turnout ever for the final session and I want to share with you why.


Alex Jordan and Brett Harris.


These twin, 21 year-olds founded the Rebelution, an online organization they describe as a "teenage rebellion against low expectations." Through this, the twins encourage young people to "be exemplary in all areas of life" rather than treat the teen years as a "vacation from responsibility." Alex and Brett also wrote Do Hard Things: A Teenage Rebellion against Low Expectations and are the main speakers for their Rebelution Tour conferences.


I've added their blog to my favorites and encourage you to pass it on to young people you know. While you are at it pick up their book Do Hard Things. These young men stirred my excitement for challenging our youth. Teens want to do more, (and they can!) but our pop culture tells them it's not cool, realistic or worthwhile.

I must add their speech also reminded me that I'm not too old to do more!

1 comments:

ICE said...

I totaly agree. The ice is still in clarion